bear's breeches / brank ursine
- in stock
- 2 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: deep, fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A fantastic, architectural plant that’s justifiably popular. It is semi-evergreen, and produces enormous, jagged, deep green glossy leaves up to 90cm long. In mid-summer, spectacular spikes of white flowers with purple hoods shoot up from the foliage and last for several weeks. It thrives best in dappled shade and although it will take full sun, the leaves may scorch. Plant it en masse under trees or as a specimen plant in a mixed border. And give it plenty of room to spread itself out.
- Garden care: To minimise the risk of powdery mildew taking hold ensure that the plant is watered well during hot, dry spells.To rejuvenate and minimise congestion, lift and divide large clumps in autumn or spring.