Anemone nemorosa 'Vestal'
wood anemone bulbs
- available to order from summer 2018
- 5 bulbs
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil but can cope with drier conditions when dormant in summer
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: March- April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 12
Use these to carpet the ground in a partially shaded spot - either towards the front of a border, or in a more naturalised setting such as a woodland garden. This one has the more unusual double flowerheads, which have a collar of large outer petals surrounding a neat dome-shaped eye that is jam-packed with smaller, shorter ones. A fast grower, it will spread to form a generous swathe over time, giving you oodles of early spring colour. Underplant with spring flowering bulbs if you wish, or use it the fill the gaps left by deciduous ferns.
- Garden care: Plant the rhizomes horizontally 5-8cm (2-3in) deep in September or October to form naturalistic drifts.