aspidistra / cast iron plant
- in stock
- 19cm pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: indirect light - one of the most tolerant of shade
- Soil: fertile, good quality potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 55cm (including pot)
- Pot covers Choose a 20cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
Incredibly popular with the Victorians, this is an elegant and tolerant plant that will cope with some neglect - hence to common name of cast iron plant. It can withstand drought (provided temperatures are not too high) and pollution - and only needs repotting occasionally. This makes it a great choice for the novice who wants something that looks nice, but is really easy to look after.
- Home care: In an ideal world, this plant will want a spot that is well away from direct sunlight, with a good amount of water in summer - but much less in winter. Wash the leaves occasionally to keep them free of dust (this can be done by popping it under a cold shower), and try to maintain cool temperatures above 7 - 10°C in winter. Pot on every 4 - 5 years using a good quality potting compost.