giant snowdrop bulbs
- available to order from summer 2018
- 10 bulbs
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moist but well drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: January and February
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 6/7
This variety has been grown in the UK for around 100 years, but originates from a wide range of habitats in north-eastern Turkey and southern Russia. It can be found naturalised in forests, fields, ditches, grassy meadows as well as rocky gorges, scree and stony slopes. Because of its wide range of natural habitats, it is a pretty tough customer and can be grown just about anywhere. It has a basal rosette of chunky green leaves that are waxy to the touch, and from their centre emerges a single stem bearing the delicate white flower which has a small green mark on the inner segments.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs as soon as possible to prevent them drying out, in naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) deep in September or October. Where bulbs are planted in grass do not cut the grass until after the leaves have died right back. Divide large colonies after flowering while the leaves are still green for use in other moist, well-drained areas.