Hydrangea macrophylla 'Wedding Gown' (PBR)
hydrangea ( syn Doppio Bianco, Dancing Snow )
- within 2 weeks
- 1.5 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
One of the new breed of hydrangeas, it has the ability to flower over an exceptionally long time, producing star-like double blooms that open to form generous domes. Their compact habit means that they are ideal for larger pots, but they will also make an outstanding addition to the shrub or mixed border.
- The plant is sent out in a 1.5-litre plastic pot (not the wicker basket seen in the photograph), however we do supply a wonderful range of containers if you would like to pot it up.
- Garden care: If keeping it in a pot, choose a container with a circumference of around 30cm (as it gets more mature it will need one twice that size, but you can pot it up in stages if you wish). Keep it well watered and feed it with a good general purpose fertiliser throughout the growing season. When pruning (whether it's in a pot or the border) leave the old flower heads in place through the winter, but as the new shoots start to emerge in spring, cut back a third to a quarter of the previous seasons flowering stems to the base and then cut back the remaining flower heads to the first pair of buds.