Hydrangea macrophylla 'Tivoli Blue'
hydrangea with blue flowers
- available to order from spring 2018
- 13cm pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: bright, filtered light and afterwards in the garden in full sun or partial shade
- Soil: Ericaceous compost, or outdoors in moist, well-drained, moderately fertile soil with an acidic pH
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: mainly summer
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Current height: approximately 35cm (including pot)
Hydrangeas have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years. No longer seen as something outdated and old-fashioned, there are lots of new and exciting varieties, which have really incredible flowers. Like this one, emerging lime green, they turning bluish purple as it ages. You would be thrilled if someone turned up on your doorstep with it, and after it has finished flowering, you could plant it outside in the garden, where it would go on to flower for many years to come.
- Garden care: Keep well watered and feed with a balanced liquid fertiliser at regular intervals. If you plant it outside, leave the old flower heads in place through the winter. As the new shoots start to emerge in spring cut back a third to a quarter of the previous seasons flowering stems to the base and cut back the remaining flower heads to the first pair of buds.