Lilium 'Casa Blanca'
oriental lily bulb
- available to order from winter
- 1 bulb
- 2+ 1 FREE bulbs
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained soil enriched with leaf mould or a loam-based potting compost, such as John Innes no2
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A classic oriental lily with sweetly fragrant, pure white flowers that delicately curve back towards the end of each petal and dark red stamens. The flowers are produced on tall stems from mid- to late summer and are ideal for the back of a sunny border. Universally loved for their big showy flowers, these lilies make excellent cut-flowers.
The RSPCA have reported that all parts of lilies can be fatal to cats, including the flower, leaves and pollen. For more information visit Rspca.org
- Garden care: Lilies can be planted at any time from early autumn, to mid-spring. Planting in autumn often helps them settle in and become better established before they start to put on their new spring growth, but spring planting is a better option if your soil is heavy and wet during winter. Choose a sunny spot, preferably where the plant receives a little light shade at its base, and plant each bulb 15-20cm deep in a well-drained soil, enriched with well-rotted organic matter or leaf mould. Space them between 15 - 30cm intervals and provide support before the flowers appear. Deadhead the faded blooms promptly and cut the dead stems back to ground level at the end of autumn.