Lilium 'Chill Out'
Skyscraper lily bulb
- available to order from winter
- 1 bulb
- 2+ 1 FREE bulbs
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: full sun with light dappled shade at its base
- Soil: fertile, reliably moist soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The huge flowers of this gorgeous, scented lily are mainly white, but each petal has a broad lemon yellow blotch in the centre. A florists favourite, these flowers last well after being cut and look very impressive in arrangements.
The RSPCA have recently reported that all parts of lilies can be fatal to cats, including the flower, leaves and pollen. For more information visit Rspca.org
- Garden care: Lilies can be planted at any time from early autumn, to mid-spring. Planting in autumn often helps them settle in and become better established before they start to put on their new spring growth, but spring planting is a better option if your soil is heavy and wet during winter. Choose a sunny spot, preferably where the plant receives a little light shade at its base, and plant each bulb 15-20cm (deep in a well-drained soil, enriched with well-rotted organic matter or leaf mould. Space them between 15 - 30cm intervals and provide support before the flowers appear. Deadhead the faded blooms promptly and cut the dead stems back to ground level at the end of autumn.