Paeonia lactiflora 'Festiva Maxima'
paeony / peony
- available to order from spring 2018
- 2 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moisture-retentive yet well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Exquisite, double flowers, that open with a pink blush, but quickly fade to creamy-white (while sometimes keeping a smattering of crimson flecks), appear from early to midsummer above the mid green leaves. One of the most popular old varieties, the enormous rose scented flowers are often more than 20cm across. Plant it close to a pathway or entrance, where the fabulous scent can be really appreciated.
- Garden care:Deadhead after flowering. In early spring apply a balanced slow-release fertiliser around the base of the plant and mulch with well-rotted compost or manure.