Parrotia persica Persian Spire ('JLPN01') (PBR)
- in stock
- 3 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil, preferably acidic
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: January to February
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Unlike other ironwoods this new form has a narrow, upright profile, and as it doesn't get too big, it's perfect for smaller gardens or large patio pots where it will offer interest throughout the year. The foliage is particularly attractive, and emerges rich purple in spring, before changing to a rich dark green with a purple fringe in summer. As the temperatures start to dip in autumn they transform again, this time turning a blaze of yellow, orange and red before they drop to reveal the grey and fawn bark. Look closely in late winter and early spring and you may spot tiny spidery red flowers, which appear before the leaves and the cycle begins all over again.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in late autumn or winter. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake firmly.