- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Leaves: dark green
- Canes: polished ebony-black
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A beautiful tall arching bamboo with polished ebony-black mature canes and dark green leaves. The slender, elegant, canes, which are dark green for the first two to three years, look perfect in a contemporary, minimalist garden. To prevent the plant from colonising adjacent plantings restrict the roots using a rigid, non-perishable barrier.
- Garden care: In smaller gardens surround the roots with a non-perishable barrier that restricts the plant's spread. Water regularly until established. Bamboos do not like competition, so are best planted en masse in a designated area of the garden.
Well-behaved bamboo that forms slow-spreading clumps of arching canes that turn ebony with age