Sarcococca hookeriana var. digyna 'Purple Stem'
- in stock
- 2 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: partial to deep shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist, well- drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing to average
- Flowering period: December to March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A suckering, evergreen shrub that gradually forms a dense thicket. The new shoots are flushed with an attractive dark purple-pink hue which gradually fades as the stems mature. The stems are clothed with slender, tapering, dark green leaves and in winter sweetly scented, pink-tinged, white flowers appear, which are followed by rounded blue-black fruit.
- Garden care: In late-winter or early-spring lightly trim or prune back shoots that spoil the plant's symmetry. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost around the base of the plant.