savory - summer savory
summer savory - organic / Satureja hortensis
- in stock
- approx 1500 seeds
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: faverage
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: half hardy annual
The tasty leaves of this useful annual are widely used to enhance the flavour of many dishes. The pink or white flowers are also edible, and have a mild pepper-like flavour. Under-planting the beans in your allotment with summer savory is said to help repel bean beetles and the aromatic foliage is said to discourage cabbage moths and aphids. Finely chopped and mixed with melted butter it tastes wonderful poured over freshly gathered and lightly cooked broad beans.
- Garden care:Start early sowings under glass where they can be kept warm. Sow shallowly in trays and keep the compost moist but not wet. When large enough to handle transplant into small pots, and grow on in cooler conditions. Gradually acclimatise before planting out at 30cm intervals after all risk of frost has passed. Later sowings can be done direct into a well-prepared bed.
- Sow: February - June
- Flowering: June - September
- Approximate quantity: 225 seeds.