highly scented sweet pea collection
Highly scented sweet pea plant collection
- 12 plants
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Sweet peas are enduringly popular climbing annuals, that make excellent cut flowers. The ones in this collection all have a strong scent, which will help fill your garden (and your home if you cut them) with their delicious perfume.
These sweet peas are autumn sown and grown in root trainers to promote longer deep roots. They have been grown under a cold polythene tunnel and whilst they are hardy, they are still young and do need that extra bit of protection on cold nights for the first few weeks. Wrap them in some good quality horticultural fleece or bring them in to an unheated greenhouse or conservatory for the night.
In this collection you will receive 4 autumn sown plug plants of each of the following three varieties (12 plug plants in total).
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Charlie's Angel':Highly scented lavender-blue flowers add an alluring touch to cottage gardens or informal planting schemes, when they can be allowed to scramble over supporting obelisks, arches or trellis. Their soft colouring mixes well with stronger purples, blues and pinks. Height to 1.8m
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Gwendoline':Creamy-white petals, which look like they have been dipped in pink icing sugar, form luscious sprays of flowers that appear in profusion in summer. This headily-scented variety looks great scrambling over an obelisk or sprawling over a hospitable, neighbouring shrub. Cut the flowers to fill your home with perfume, or leave them outside for the bees buzz about. Height to 1.8m
- Lathyrus odoratus 'King's High Scent':The delicate picotee colouring of this sweet pea, coupled with the flowers unusually powerful scent, make this a beautiful addition to the flower garden. Where space is at a premium, try filling large pots with them, and top it with a woven obelisk that they can scramble over. Throughout summer you will have a stunning feature for your terrace. Height to 1.8m
- Garden care: Before planting out, incorporate lots of well-rotted organic matter in the planting hole. Apply a balanced liquid plant food every two weeks while in growth and deadhead regulary to encourage more flowers.